Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 6: A funny (and true) story.

At the time I did not feel this was funny at all, and rather traumatizing actually.

So I had prayed that my car would make it to work on the already very empty tank of gas. Of course rather than filling up my tank before work, I tried to make it to work. The needle was in the bottom end of the red zone and resting on the empty marker. So, the whole drive to work I was expecting my car to put to a stop. It didn't, I got off the freeway at my usual exit, and thought, I better not push my luck so I will get gas at the gas station right off the freeway and right by my work.
    I have always been very particular about where I get my gas, because new gas stations can be intimidating and confusing if you are not familiar with their pumps. I personally, am partial to the Maverick located on 11400 S. and 700 E., but that's just me.
   So I pull into the gas station by my work and up to the pump. I get out and the maching told me: swipe your card and press start to begin fueling. So I swipe my amex, get approval, and press start. Well, the nozzle had been left engaged from the last user (thank you very much) and as I remove the nozzle from it's holster, gas starts gushing out EVERYWHERE! I, of course, begin to panic and hurry and try getting the gas into the car. Everytime I got close to my car the back splash of gas was so much and drenching me in gasoline that I would pull away. I tried to disengage the nozzle, but the pressure was too great and the panic too much, that I was not capable of this task. Five dollars later, I got the nozzle into the tank.
   A puddle of gas layed around my car and the right side of my body was drenched in gasoline. I rushed into my car to sit down and calm down while the rest of the tank filled. I collected myself and drove to work. I got to work earlier than most and a co-worker came in and over to talk to me.
   "It smells like gas so bad over by the front doors! Do you smell that?" The smell was so strong that it was lingering everywhere I went. I finally had to go home and change my clothes and shower. My car smelled like gas for over a week and it took several washing to get the smell out of my favorite, very nice pants!
  However, my boyfriend drove away from the gas pump with the nozzle still in his car. It ripped of the nozzle and gas spewed everywhere. They had to have a toxic chemical crew come and clean it up. So I guess it could have been worse.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I remember when that happened!!! I think that's a way funny story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha that's much worse than me not knowing to lift up the switch or whatever it was. =)

    ReplyDelete