Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sooo Many Projects:

So Far I have:
2 wood frame chairs that I need to paint and get cushions on.
A medal pedestal table (with a wicker top), that needs a new top and paint
4 kitchen table chairs that need to be refinished and  the cushions re-upholstered.
1 Bedside lamp that needs a make-over, both the base and the shade
Also I am in the midst of  trying to put together some other fun lamp ideas.

I really love working on my projects, but in the winter it is really hard, plus I have no where to put all my finished masterpieces at the moment... Maybe  I should rent a storage unit  /:

Here's a few of my projects that I have already completed:




This dresser used to be stark white with big round wooden knobs (yuck!) So rather than spend a fortune on new pieces when I had perfectly good ones at home, I just gave my old furniture a make-over.


This night stand used to be white with sage green doors (remember that era in the 90's when anything green was all the rage, especially sage and hunter green).
Incidentally, the lamp in the back round is the one that I want to give a make over too.
The flower arrangement is the one that I made in 10th grade interior design class - still love it!
The mirror on the night stand used to be bright silver and hung in my college dorm, but my mom glazed it over with a touch of bronze to tone it down. I really like it now.


I think that I am most proud of this dresser. I found it at the good ole' Sandy Deseret Industries. It was $60.00 and a very light brown with old handle bar drawer pulls. I am the worst ever at before pictures...I'm working on it! I painted this an apple green and put a dark hickory stain over it, I absolutely love the end result. The only problem was, when I took off all the handles (which one was missing to begin with) I could not find and handles that were wide enought to fit the pre-existing drilled holes and the 4 larger drawers. There was talk of filling in the existing holes and drilling new ones, but I have yet to explore that realm of wood work. Plus I don't have a drill yet. My dad said that I can borrow all his tools, but I would like to start collecting my own. That is why the 4 bottom drawers have knobs on them instead of handles.*



I somewhat have a before picture for this one. I found this metal garden art in the clearance section at Walmart for $3.00. I figure for $3.00 I might as well see what I can do with it. So I took my left over hickory stain from my dresser and began to rub it over the pale green paint, that originally covered my metal tile. The stain wasn't given the desired effect that I was looking for, so I mixed some of the stain with black paint for a more dramatic effect.

This is the back of it and the original color. You can see where I tested out my stain technique in the corner.

As soon as I start working on my other projects I will hopefully take pictures from the very beginning and throughout the whole process, so you can see before and after photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment